Composite Font, transformation matrix vs scaling

Karsten Luecke karstenluecke at yahoo.de
Sat Sep 19 12:40:39 CEST 2009

Hello Mr Lunde and Mr Strebe,

discussion has moved on but I want to go back to:

 > Perhaps we should apply a transformation matrics to the glyph,
 > and a separate x/y scaling to the metrics.

It occurred to me that in some circumstances, marks may get positioned
not at the desired place e.g. when using a transformation matrics to
slant outlines but not to metrics: As soon as mark attachment involves
an y-shift of the mark from its original position, the mark will be off
its ideal horizontal position.

I made four screenshots for illustration. Each time with base glyph to
the left, mark glyph in the middle, and to the right is the result of
attachment. The little circles to the left and in the middle symbolize
anchor/attachment points.

    1.a
The mark sits on destined height already, the y value of anchors in both
base and mark glyph are 0:
http://www.kltf.de/OFF/1a_same_y_in_base_and_mark_anchors_not_slanted.jpg

    1.b
In this case, slanting outlines but not anchor points is no problem
since both base and mark glyph would be slanted "in tune".
http://www.kltf.de/OFF/1b_same_y_in_base_and_mark_anchors_slanted.jpg

    2.a
The mark does not sit on destined height -- imagine lowercase marks used
on uppercase letters. The y value of anchors in base and mark glyph differ.
http://www.kltf.de/OFF/2a_diff_y_in_base_and_mark_anchors_not_slanted.jpg

    2.b
In this case, slanting outlines but not anchor points results in
mal-aligned marks.
http://www.kltf.de/OFF/2b_diff_y_in_base_and_mark_anchors_slanted.jpg

What do you think about a transformation matrics (rather than mere
scaling) for metrics too? Or would this be too complicated to implement?
Really crazy transformations may lead to nonsense results anyway in
terms of mark attachment, but slanting seems like something that people
are likely to make use of. (And in my opinion, mark attachment will be
"standard" in future fonts so should be taken into consideration.)

Best wishes,
Karsten