FW: Proposed Script tag additions

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotypeimaging.com
Fri Dec 3 20:49:44 CET 2010

Hi Behdad, John, all,

It is true that the ISO standards cannot be changed at will and that one has to follow the established process, but it doesn’t mean that a worthy change should not be made just to avoid the extra work. I agree with John that adding script and language shaping specs to the OFF standard would be a major benefit and an important step towards creating the missing text layout specification. It is a lot of work but it would be worthwhile, in my opinion.

You are right in your observation that some of the existing shaping specs are buggy, but adding them to the OFF would also offer us an opportunity to fix those bugs. This is where the ISO process becomes really helpful since it is designed to ensure that sufficient amount of time is allocated for the development of the standard, and that everybody has a chance to review the drafts and contribute their comments and/or corrections. So, the real question is whether we believe there is a real benefit in adding layout specification to OFF, and if yes, the existing shaping specifications may be a good starting point. The process should not be seen as a deterrent to doing something needed and useful.

Best regards,
Vlad