[mpeg-OTspec] RE: FW: Proposed Script tag additions

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Fri Dec 3 21:12:21 CET 2010

Vladimir wrote:

> You are right in your observation that some of the existing shaping
> specs are buggy, but adding them to the OFF would also offer us an
> opportunity to fix those bugs. This is where the ISO process becomes
> really helpful since it is designed to ensure that sufficient amount of
> time is allocated for the development of the standard, and that
> everybody has a chance to review the drafts and contribute their
> comments and/or corrections. So, the real question is whether we believe
> there is a real benefit in adding layout specification to OFF, and if
> yes, the existing shaping specifications may be a good starting point.
> The process should not be seen as a deterrent to doing something needed
> and useful.

If we can get agreement that incorporating script shaping specs in OFF
would be a good idea, then I would like to suggest an ad hoc working
group make a first pass at reviewing and revising the existing MS specs
-- presuming MS agree -- *before* rolling them into the standard. This
will give us an opportunity to fix any clear problems and also to set up
an agenda of items for future work on this aspect of the standard.

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro at tiro.com

A pilgrimage is a journey undertaken in the
light of a story. -- Paul Elie