[mpeg-OTspec] RE: font media types

James Cloos cloos+mpeg-otspec at jhcloos.com
Tue Apr 5 17:59:25 CEST 2011

DL> ... it seems odd to me that this does not indicate what distinctions
DL> are meant to be drawn between the three proposed types. ...

DL> Perhaps another way to ask this is: How would a compliant
DL> application decide which mime type to assign?

My impression is that, following the lead of the file naming traditions,
font-ttf implies sfnt/glyf and font-otf implies sfnt/cff.

One could argue that font-sfnt-glyf and font-sfnt-cff are better names.
(Which does not imply, necessarily, that I am doing so. :)

If that is not the intent, though, the mime type application should give
better direction, not only as to how the tagging apps should tag, but
also as to what the receiving apps should expect to find.

-JimC