[mpeg-OTspec] RE: font media types

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotypeimaging.com
Tue Apr 5 21:26:18 CEST 2011

Thank you John,

I believe making a distinction based on the types of glyph outline data has always been the primary goal, and what you proposed seem to make perfect sense. However, I'd like to keep an "umbrella" media type to separate OpenType/OFF-based SFNT objects vs. arbitrary SFNT-based format.

Strictly speaking, defining a media type for an arbitrary SFNT-based format would go beyond the scope of ISO OFF specification, but I think it would be acceptable to attempt to define this media type as part of the ISO document anyway, to offer a way to distinguish SFNT font structures that are not compliant with the ISO standard (and we know there are many of them out there). With this in mind, would the following be acceptable to everyone:

- application/font-ttf - for traditional TrueType fonts and OpenType/OFF fonts with TrueType outlines;
- application/font-cff - for OpenType/OFF fonts with CFF outlines;
- application/font-off - for OpenType/OFF fonts with both TrueType and CFF outlines, or as a generic type for a font that is compliant to ISO OFF spec, and
- application/font-sfnt - for generic SFNT-based font formats.

Please voice your objections / concerns / comments / agreement - I need to finalize the text of the annex and submit it to ISO SC29 by the end of the week.

Thank you,
Vlad