[mpeg-OTspec] FW: [mpeg-OTspec] RE: font media types

suzuki toshiya mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Tue Apr 5 23:56:29 CEST 2011

Dear Vladimir,

I'm sorry for lated participation of this discussion.
The distinction for TTF-only implementation is still significant,
SC34 will think.

In OOXML (ISO/IEC 29500, Microsoft Office XML), there is a boolean
flag which had ever been used to distinguish TrueType font and
various bitmap fonts. It is still excluding CFF OpenType from TrueType.
Current OOXML spec does not clarify it, but future Corrigendum
will clarify it.

In addition, current Microsoft Office (2010) can embed TrueType
into the document package, and cannot embed CFF OpenType. This
situation is same in XPS, another ECMA standard. If I try to embed
CFF OpenType into XPS, it is converted to bitmap picture.

Also, the conformance level definition of OFF distinguishes CFF
OpenType and glyf OpenType, it is consistent attitude for SC29/WG11
to request different media types for them, I think.

Regards,
mpsuzuki