[mpeg-OTspec] RE: font media types

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotypeimaging.com
Tue Jul 5 21:37:13 CEST 2011

On Monday, May 02, 2011 11:14 AM I wrote:

> the alternative approach would be to define a single media
> type, e.g. "application/font-sfnt" with two sets of optional parameters
> like:
>
> 1)	Name: Format
> 	Value: TTF, CFF
> 2)	Name: Layout
> 	Value: OTF, AAT, SIL
>
> All, for the purposes of a straw poll only - please respond to this
> email with your preferred choice (I would specifically want to hear
> from those who proposed this activity)!

There was one positive response submitted by Thomas Phinney advocating for an alternative approach above, and suggesting to replace parameter name "Format" with "Outlines". In case there are no objections to the above (i.e. to changing the media type definitions to "application/font-sfnt" with two optional parameters "outlines" and "layout") - I will draft a contribution to WG11 suggesting this change and, pending the WG11 approval, we will be able to prepare and submit an application to IANA. If any of you do have objections, please respond to this email.