[mpeg-OTspec] RE: font media types

Thomas Phinney tphinney at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 5 23:08:11 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Levantovsky, Vladimir <
vladimir.levantovsky at monotypeimaging.com> wrote:

> **
>

> On Monday, May 02, 2011 11:14 AM I wrote:
> >
> > the alternative approach would be to define a single media
> > type, e.g. "application/font-sfnt" with two sets of optional parameters
> > like:
> >
> > 1) Name: Format
> > Value: TTF, CFF
> > 2) Name: Layout
> > Value: OTF, AAT, SIL
> >
> > All, for the purposes of a straw poll only - please respond to this
> > email with your preferred choice (I would specifically want to hear
> > from those who proposed this activity)!
> >

> There was one positive response submitted by Thomas Phinney advocating for
> an alternative approach above, and suggesting to replace parameter name
> "Format" with "Outlines". In case there are no objections to the above (i.e.
> to changing the media type definitions to "application/font-sfnt" with two
> optional parameters "outlines" and "layout") - I will draft a contribution
> to WG11 suggesting this change and, pending the WG11 approval, we will be
> able to prepare and submit an application to IANA. If any of you do have
> objections, please respond to this email.
>
> Thank you,
> Vladimir

Perhaps we should make two things explicit in this proposal: (1) more values
may be added to either parameter in the future, and (2) there may be
multiple values for a single parameter. I'm thinking here of the
SVG-in-OpenType-clothing proposal we have on the table on the OpenType and
www-fonts lists.

Alternatively, we might want to wait until that proposal is resolved or
further along, before making this submission, so as to include SVG outlines
if needed.

Regards,

“Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone,
 somewhere, may be happy.”
 —H.L. Mencken