[mpeg-OTspec] Proposed changes to the OFF specification

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotypeimaging.com
Mon Jul 18 12:18:29 CEST 2011

Dear all,

I would like to once again bring to your attention the fact that there is a liaison statement from ISO SC34/WG2 group suggesting to make the following changes in the OpenType / OFF specifications.

Proposal: in OS/2 table - modify the description of the Panose field (http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/os2.htm#pan) by removing the names of the fields and making the explicit reference to the Panose spec. The reason for this change (as was stated in the liaison letter) is that current filed names are defined by one particular section of the Panose spec, and only relevant if that particular section is used to determine Panose values. Other sections use slightly different set of Panose values, and additional specification is required to classify non-Latin character sets.

So, a possible way to address this comment is to keep the existing text for Format, Title and other descriptive parts, but to change the text of the table to define it as 10-byte array with value names defined by the Panose spec.

We have to make a decision whether we accept or reject this proposed change by the end of day on July 20 (Wednesday this week). I have not received any objections yet to this change, if I do not hear otherwise by July 20 I will consider this proposal as approved by the AHG.