[mpeg-OTspec] Proposed changes to the OFF specification

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Mon Jul 18 19:33:15 CEST 2011

> Proposal: in OS/2 table - modify the description of the Panose field
> (http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/os2.htm#pan) by removing the
> names of the fields and making the explicit reference to the Panose
> spec. The reason for this change (as was stated in the liaison letter)
> is that current filed names are defined by one particular section of the
> Panose spec, and only relevant if that particular section is used to
> determine Panose values. Other sections use slightly different set of
> Panose values, and additional specification is required to classify
> non-Latin character sets.

I support this change. I recently had to investigate a support call
regarding Panose settings in a display font, and realised that the
client had been looking at the OT OS/2 table spec rather than the Panose
spec, so was unaware of the settings that are appropriate to display
types. I think it makes more sense to reference the Panose spec.

But who owns the Panose spec now? Is it still Hewlett Packard, or has it
been placed under a standards body? And where is the official reference?

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro at tiro.com

You may quote to me, render to Caesar the things that
are Caesar's, but St. Hilary commented on that, that
the less we had of Caesar, the less we would have to
render to him. -- Dorothy Day