[mpeg-OTspec] Proposed changes to the OFF specification

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Tue Jul 19 07:22:37 CEST 2011

mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp wrote:

> SC34 expects that OFF spec is good reference.

> On the issue that genuine Panose spec is defined for Latin script
> and other scripts had been left as future task, SC34 wants to
> retain the text in OFF spec, because it is informative to indicate
> that Panose spec itself does not request to classify non-Latin
> typeface by the properties designed for Latin script.

The names corresponding to bytes as provided in the OFF OS/2 spec are
only correct for one subset of Latin types. It is important to
understand that when the higher level FamilyType value changes, it has a
knock-on effect on the interpretation of subsequent bytes. So, for
example, the second byte identifies Serif Style for Latin Text and
Display family type, but identifies Tool Type for Latin Hand Written
family type, and identifies design Class for Latin Decorative family type.

If there are reasons to retain the names in the OFF spec, then I think
some text needs to be added to explain that these names are informative
only for the Latin Text and Display family type, and not for other
family types, Latin or non-Latin. Personally, I'd rather see the names
removed and a less misleading reference provided.

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro at tiro.com

You may quote to me, render to Caesar the things that
are Caesar's, but St. Hilary commented on that, that
the less we had of Caesar, the less we would have to
render to him. -- Dorothy Day