[mpeg-OTspec] Proposed changes to the OFF specification

mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Tue Jul 19 13:33:13 CEST 2011

Dear John Hudson,

Thank you for comment. The core proposal is that removal of the
variable name list:

	Type Name
	BYTE bFamilyType;
	BYTE bSerifStyle;
	BYTE bWeight;
	BYTE bProportion;
	BYTE bContrast;
	BYTE bStrokeVariation;
	BYTE bArmStyle;
	BYTE bLetterform;
	BYTE bMidline;
	BYTE bXHeight;

Also, the last part of description:
	the default values should be set to 'zero'. The variables
	for each digit are listed below.
should be reconsidered if the variable name list is dropped.

# BTW, does anybody know the reason the variable names have ";"
# at the end? Most of other variable name lists don't include
# ";". It makes me afraid that this list was (exceptinally)
# copied from C or Pascal source.

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 22:22:37 -0700
John Hudson <john at tiro.ca> wrote:
>mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp wrote:
>> On the issue that genuine Panose spec is defined for Latin script
>> and other scripts had been left as future task, SC34 wants to
>> retain the text in OFF spec, because it is informative to indicate
>> that Panose spec itself does not request to classify non-Latin
>> typeface by the properties designed for Latin script.

Here, I had meant that the text

	International: Additional specifications are required for
	PANOSE to classify non-Latin character sets.

should be retained. Do you have any comment on this part?

>The names corresponding to bytes as provided in the OFF OS/2 spec are
>only correct for one subset of Latin types. It is important to
>understand that when the higher level FamilyType value changes, it has a
>knock-on effect on the interpretation of subsequent bytes. So, for
>example, the second byte identifies Serif Style for Latin Text and
>Display family type, but identifies Tool Type for Latin Hand Written
>family type, and identifies design Class for Latin Decorative family type.

Correct, it's the reason why SC34 sent the liaison comment.

>If there are reasons to retain the names in the OFF spec, then I think
>some text needs to be added to explain that these names are informative
>only for the Latin Text and Display family type, and not for other
>family types, Latin or non-Latin. Personally, I'd rather see the names
>removed and a less misleading reference provided.

I agree, the removal of the variable names is better than
adding more text to describe why different.

Regards,
suzuki toshiya, SC34 member