FW: [mpeg-OTspec] RE: Proposed changes to the OFF specification

David Lemon lemon at adobe.com
Mon Jul 25 22:28:34 CEST 2011

Vlad et al.,
The parsing engine would need heuristics (e.g. "if font type is one
of the following values...") to know what version of the PANOSE
specification is supported in the font. There are multiple engines
that do not include such heuristics, and thus make the implicit
assumption that value n has the same meaning regardless of value 1.
(It's not just GDI; Adobe has a couple too.) Consequently the result
is that in the case of Latin-Handwritten or any non-Latin, the values
are misinterpreted.

Greg is right, of course; the engines are conformant with the spec,
and the fonts are not. (I'll observe that it would be possible to
make the spec a lot clearer on this point, which would be a good
thing.) This is an unfortunate mismatch. The good news is that it's
not a calamity. I don't know about GDI, but Adobe's engines look at
only one or two values (depending on the engine), and to the best of
my knowledge haven't triggered any complaints to date.

- thanks,
  David L

--
David Lemon