FW: [mpeg-OTspec] RE: Proposed changes to the OFF specification

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotypeimaging.com
Mon Jul 25 17:33:05 CEST 2011

Rather than simply identifying (or even worth, trying to retrofit) the 'offending' fonts that may contain OS/2 'Panose' values outside of "Latin Text" family kind, I think it would be interesting to see how the existing implementations behave when those font are encountered, and what the outcome is. Knowing whether the "Panose 1.5" values are ignored, result in being misinterpreted or if they actually cause problems would help to get a better understanding of the problem.

This is not to say that the limitations imposed by the previous versions of the spec should always define the outcome of the future changes - I think it is perfectly normal and reasonable to expect that at some point the new features may be introduced to improve the standard, and that implementations would have to be updated to handle them. In case with Panose field - it seems reasonable to extend the existing functionality from supporting a "Latin Text" only kind to a full Panose spec, and I can definitely see a benefit of extending font matching capabilities to support non-Latin fonts as well.