[OpenType] JLREQ <-> fonts

suzuki toshiya mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Fri Oct 7 19:23:48 CEST 2011

Hi,

Eric Muller wrote:
> It seems to me that we would have a much more reliable system if we used
> an OT feature that would fundamentally deliver glyphs in the JLREQ
> model. I understand that this also begs for a Chinese equivalent of
> JLREQ; it's unclear to me whether we want/need a separate feature for
> Chinese. And then there is the question of Hangul as well.

Indeed. I guess EPUB people may know some experts from China,
Taiwan and Korea.

I think, the first step for OpenType experts would be the
reconsideration that the features noted as only for Japanese
in current spec are really only for Japanese, or pan-CJK.

Recently, there was a question about Taiwanese ruby in Unicode list:
	http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2011-m09/0158.html

Although I don't know how ruby annotation is required in Taiwan
and Korea, "ruby" in current OpenType spec is noted as:
	Script/language sensitivity: Applies only to Japanese.

It might be reasonable to reconsider if "ruby" should be only
for Japanese in future. In fact, ISO/IEC TR 29166 (edited by
JTC1/SC34/WG5) will mention Korean ruby that vertical Hangul
annotation is given to each Hanja even in horizontal writing mode.

Such kind of "only for Japanese" feature should be discussed for
first. I will try to collect. Is this an urgent issue for next
SC29/WG11 meeting?

Regards,
mpsuzuki