[mpeg-OTspec] RE: [OpenType] RE: Proposal: deprecate ReqFeatureIndex

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Thu Aug 23 17:46:07 CEST 2012

On 23/08/12 6:08 AM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

>  > But, as it stands, ReqFeatureIndex is at the very least ambiguously
> specified
>  > with respect to interaction with MS' multiple-pass model, as we've
> discussed
>  > on this list in the past.

> Fair enough. But the 'rclt' proposal does not address that either.

Only insofar as *none* of the registered layout feature descriptions
address that: you need to go to the individual script specs to figure
out in what order MS applies the features.

Personally, I'd favour <rclt> being processed at the same time as
<calt>, i.e. in the final pass of 'typographic' features. The
distinction between the two is only that <rclt> shouldn't be
turn-off-able, and being able to control the interaction of the two
features through lookup ordering seems to me desirable.

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro at tiro.com

The criminologist's definition of 'public order
crimes' comes perilously close to the historian's
description of 'working-class leisure-time activity.'
  - Sidney Harring, _Policing a Class Society_