[OpenType] RE: Proposal: deprecate ReqFeatureIndex

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Thu Aug 23 18:01:58 CEST 2012

Peter Constable wrote:

> If we defined a feature tag 'reqd' and used it to group a set of lookups and then referenced it from ReqFeatureIndex, that could work fine -- for one langsys table. If you needed to trigger a _different_ set of required lookups for some other language system, then that doesn't help.

There doesn't seem to be anything that would prevent one from defining
in a font a required feature for each language system that needed one
(one could even use the language system tag names, since there is no
requirement that script, language system and feature tags be mutually
exclusive). A required feature is just a hold-all for required lookups
to be associated with this or that language system.

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro at tiro.com

The criminologist's definition of 'public order
crimes' comes perilously close to the historian's
description of 'working-class leisure-time activity.'
  - Sidney Harring, _Policing a Class Society_