[mpeg-OTspec] Abstract for ISO/IEC 14496-28 CFR

Ken Lunde lunde at adobe.com
Wed Feb 8 14:35:16 CET 2012

Suzuki-san,

I am glad to hear that you prefer the revision that I supplied. Some clarifications:

I didn't change the 64K nor 100,000 figures in the revision that I supplied. Those figures remain as-is, mainly because I felt that their use was appropriate. The 64K limit can actually fluctuate somewhat. For example, in CFF, the limit is 64,000 for name-keyed, and 65,535 (CIDs 0 through 65534) for CID-keyed. It also didn't seem appropriate to refer to a specific version of Unicode and its number of characters, because such a statement would become outdated as soon as a new version of Unicode is released.

It would be quite appropriate to use "number of fonts" in terms of TTC contents, because multiple fonts are encapsulated in a single font resource. And, the fact that CFR can support font formats other than OFF suggests that an overarching term, such as "font resource," is appropriate.

Regards...

-- Ken