Panose issue status? (Re: [mpeg-OTspec] AHG activity kick-off)

Opstad, Dave dave.opstad at monotypeimaging.com
Mon Jul 16 19:32:04 CEST 2012

On Jul 16, 2012, at 10:22 AM, John Hudson wrote:

> PS. On the subject of Panose and Monotype, as I recall from a conference
> conversation many years ago Monotype developed a tool for automatically
> generating correct Panose values for fonts (I believe Dave Opstad coded
> it). Since having accurate Panose information in fonts is of general
> ecological benefit, I wonder if Monotype might be interested in open
> sourcing or otherwise making that tool available?

The PANOSE tool that John mentions was experimental, and not really production-quality. It's really not in a state to be released, as it uses fairly old custom Python library code (ca. Python 2.2) and had lots of "fix this later" commented-out sections of logic.

I suppose I should revisit it at some point to see if it could be turned into a more modern (and more complete) tool that we could release, but for the nonce I'm afraid it's just not there.

Sorry,
Dave Opstad