Panose issue status? (Re: [mpeg-OTspec] AHG activity kick-off)

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Mon Jul 16 20:41:33 CEST 2012

Dave Opstad wrote:

> The PANOSE tool that John mentions was experimental, and not really production-quality. It's really not in a state to be released, as it uses fairly old custom Python library code (ca. Python 2.2) and had lots of "fix this later" commented-out sections of logic.

> I suppose I should revisit it at some point to see if it could be turned into a more modern (and more complete) tool that we could release, but for the nonce I'm afraid it's just not there.

Good to know. Thanks, Dave.

I had occasion to add accurate Panose data to four fonts last week, and
I'd forgotten how arduous it is to do manually. No wonder so many font
makers either guess at correct settings based on the associated names
(very misleading), accept e.g. FontLab's auto generated values (opaque
and seldom correct), or set everything to 'No fit'.

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro at tiro.com

The criminologist's definition of 'public order
crimes' comes perilously close to the historian's
description of 'working-class leisure-time activity.'
  - Sidney Harring, _Policing a Class Society_