[mpeg-OTspec] top-level media type for ISO/IEC 14496-22?

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotypeimaging.com
Thu May 3 11:51:42 CEST 2012

Dear Suzuki-san,

Like you summarized in your email, the need for defining media types for fonts have been brought up on numerous occasions. Many people agreed that defining a top-level "font" media type would be ideal, however after having numerous discussions (including those that you mentioned and also relevant discussions in W3C regarding media type or web font formats) many have expressed their concern that applying for top-level media type would be a lengthy process that is unlikely to bring the desired results. Consequently, W3C made a decision to apply for 'application/font-woff' media type, and SC29/WG11 has also prepared an application for 'application/font-sfnt' media type. The application is part of the most recent amendment to ISO/IEC 14496-22 that is being prepared for publication, and has not yet been submitted to IETF.

However, there have also been a recent discussion on one of the IETF email lists about font media type, where people expressed their favorable position to the idea of creating a new top-level 'font' type. I haven't been (until recently) subscribed to the IETF list and am not aware of any progress or follow-up discussions that may have taken place. I will inquire if there have been any more action taken, but I also hope that some of the AHG members, who are familiar with the subject, may have additional information to share on the list.