top-level media type for ISO/IEC 14496-22?

suzuki toshiya mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Thu May 3 11:31:20 CEST 2012

Dear Vladimir,

A few years ago, SC34/WG2, SC34/WG4 and SC29/WG11 had discussed about
the media type (MIME) for ISO/IEC 14496-22. The trigger was that it is
needed that all component data in ZIP package for ISO/IEC 29500 are
declared with standard media types, but no appropriate MIME types for
ISO/IEC 14496-22 were not existing at that time. I remember, the attitudes
of each groups were:
* SC29/WG11, SC34/WG2: top level media type "font" is needed, even if
it would be long term issue.
* SC34/WG4: proposal of new top level media type would be very long term
issue, so it is not appropriate solution for ISO/IEC 29500 stabilization.
As a result, SC34/WG4 decided to use application/vnd.ms-XXX as their own
solution.

After the discussion, if I remember correctly, SC29/WG11 approved the
request of top level media type for tonts as the action item. But I'm
not about the current situation; not-yet-proposed, or, already-proposed-
and-waiting-response, or, proposed-and-refused. Could you let me know
current status about the media types for ISO/IEC 14496-22?

Recently, the convenor of SC34/WG4 (Makoto Murata) found the similar
issue (no appropriate media types are existing for ISO/IEC 14496-22)
for EPUB. So there might be a possibility this issue would be discussed
again in next SC34 plenary.

Regards,
mpsuzuki