[OpenType] MS Proposal for a new Name Table ID

Ken Lunde lunde at adobe.com
Fri Jan 4 15:45:02 CET 2013

All,

Regardless of where this information goes, it is important and useful, because implementations are currently forced to employ heuristics to arrive at this information, such as 'OS/2' table settings, Unicode ranges in the 'cmap' table, the language settings for existing 'name' table strings, and so on. Explicitly stating the intended language (or languages) of the font resource, or even the converse, is extraordinarily helpful.

BTW, there already is a 'META' table that Adobe defined for use with SING glyphlets, which are small 'sfnt' resources that include glyph data, but lack a 'name' table so that they cannot present themselves to OSes, applications, and text engines as selectable font resources. Details are here:

  http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/opentype/gdk/topic.html

-- Ken