[mpeg-OTspec] [OpenType] MS Proposal for a new Name Table ID

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Mon Jan 7 19:59:55 CET 2013

On 04/01/13 8:51 PM, Ken Lunde wrote:

> I think that the original intent of this proposal is not about specifying which languages are supported by a font resource, but rather what the intended language (or languages) of the font is.

That is my understanding of the proposal, too. I see this data being
most useful in fonts that include character subsets for purely technical
reasons. For instance, all Microsoft's Indic fonts now contain Latin-1
8-bit codepage coverage, presumably because failure to include at least
one 8-bit codepage produced problems in some software (what? where?).
Being able to flag these fonts for newer software as not being intended
for European languages seems worthwhile.

There is set of fonts that constitute a peculiar grey area in this
regard. For instance, the Microsoft Nyala and Arabic Typesetting fonts
are intended primarily for Ethiopic and Arabic script use, but both have
custom designed Latin subsets which I've seen used effectively on their
own (I've even seen a book typeset in the Arabic Typesetting Latin).
With this in mind, I think the subjective criteria that Ken suggests --
determining whether the secondary subsets are a 'poor choice' for those
scripts -- makes sense in deciding when and when not to include the
proposed information in fonts.

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro at tiro.com

The criminologist's definition of 'public order
crimes' comes perilously close to the historian's
description of 'working-class leisure-time activity.'
  - Sidney Harring, _Policing a Class Society_