FW: [mpeg-OTspec] Re: [OpenType] MS Proposal for a new Name Table ID

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotype.com
Mon Jan 7 23:24:09 CET 2013

FYI

-----Original Message-----
From: listmaster at indx.co.uk [mailto:listmaster at indx.co.uk] On Behalf Of John H. Jenkins
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2013 1:59 PM
To: "multiple recipients of OpenType"@mail.indx.co.uk
Subject: Re: [mpeg-OTspec] Re: [OpenType] MS Proposal for a new Name Table ID

Message from OpenType list:

The problem with a bitarray is that we would quickly run into the same problem we've already got with the 'OS/2' table: you run out of bits. Its advantage is that it's fixed-sized.

Personally, I would prefer something like the original proposal of a string with comma-separated language identifiers. We've already got variable-length data in OT (although not yet in the 'OS/2' table), so I don't think that's insuperable.

I would still recommend a new table, however. The 'OS/2' table is already pretty unwieldy.

subscribe: opentype-migration-sub at indx.co.uk