FW: [mpeg-OTspec] Re: [OpenType] MS Proposal for a new Name Table ID

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotype.com
Tue Jan 8 23:22:04 CET 2013

FYI

-----Original Message-----
From: listmaster at indx.co.uk [mailto:listmaster at indx.co.uk] On Behalf Of Peter Constable
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 4:54 AM
To: "multiple recipients of OpenType"@mail.indx.co.uk
Subject: RE: [mpeg-OTspec] Re: [OpenType] MS Proposal for a new Name Table ID

Message from OpenType list:

I don't think there's a real need for another bit array for indicating "this font _can_ be used for X". In implementations, I think it's rarely useful to find the subset of available font resources that are _capable_ of displaying X; moreover, that's a question that can be better answered by comparing the content of a document with the cmap table. But what would be _very_ useful but that is not provided at all today is a way to discover which fonts are deemed (by their designers -- or whomever) to be useful choices when displaying content for a given script or language.

Btw, I think very often -- perhaps usually, though not always -- what would be useful would be to indicate that a font is a good choice for one or more particular _scripts_, not languages.

Peter