FW: [mpeg-OTspec] Re: [OpenType] MS Proposal for a new Name Table ID

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotype.com
Tue Jan 8 23:32:37 CET 2013

FYI

-----Original Message-----
From: listmaster at indx.co.uk [mailto:listmaster at indx.co.uk] On Behalf Of Thomas Phinney
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 5:27 PM
To: "multiple recipients of OpenType"@mail.indx.co.uk
Subject: Re: [mpeg-OTspec] Re: [OpenType] MS Proposal for a new Name Table ID

Message from OpenType list:

>****** Attachments to this email message have been removed ******

I concur with the possibly-prevailing sentiment that the 'name' table is a poor place to put this kind of information.

I agree with Adam that this is "supportive" rather than "exhaustive"
information.

I also agree with those who have pointed out that even fonts who have some of this data may not have complete information, as in many cases the data is subjective. For example (and I am not trying to pick on any particular group here, it's just an example), a Japanese font producer might be well aware that their font does not support Chinese shapes for the codepoints that are shared by both languages (that's an objective question), but they may not realize that their Latin characters would be a poor choice for dedicated Latin-based text. Or I might extend my Latin typeface to cover Cyrillic, but do a lousy job of it—of course, I don't realize how bad it is!

subscribe: opentype-migration-sub at indx.co.uk