FW: [mpeg-OTspec] Re: [OpenType] MS Proposal for a new Name Table ID

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotype.com
Wed Jan 9 00:23:40 CET 2013

FYI

-----Original Message-----
From: listmaster at indx.co.uk [mailto:listmaster at indx.co.uk] On Behalf Of Adam Twardoch (List)
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 6:11 PM
To: "multiple recipients of OpenType"@mail.indx.co.uk
Subject: Re: [mpeg-OTspec] Re: [OpenType] MS Proposal for a new Name Table ID

Message from OpenType list:

This may be silly but how about having some sort of "LANG" table which would reuse the basic OT script/languagesystem table, but inside the branches there would be some metainformation, used for informative purposes. This info could have a slightly complex structure, some "quality inducator" for fitness of a given script and language. And then make it *exhaustive*. Perhaps even have some nifty text comments (or even some kind of classificational info).

So rather than spoofing GSUB/GPOS with empty langsya records, we'd have a dedicated table for this. Possibly based on the OT tags, though perhaps not. A simplified PANOSE-like info could be attached to each record, on the script or langsys level. So for example in "latn/default" branch, there could be some info that the typeface is "geometric sanserif", and a "good design by itself" (or just "compatibility level"), and then in "arab/default" we could have a classification dntry that the Arabic section of the font is Kufi or Naskh and "primary script" of this typeface. And in "grek/default" branch we'd have info that the Greek letterforms in this font are "quite cursive".

After all, in the multiscript world, all the EXISTING stylistic info about a font is SHIT. PANOSE is useless for multiscript, and there's been talks about "new classification" etc for years now -- but nothing's happening.

If we want to help users discover, among many, a font which is "fit for a particular purpose", then we need a new structure which combines script/language info with some stylistic info. "Compatibility level/ugly/don't use unless you have to" could be one such "stylistic" info.

A.

Sent from my mobile phone.

subscribe: opentype-migration-sub at indx.co.uk