[mpeg-OTspec] Re: [OpenType] MS Proposal for a new Name Table ID

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Wed Jan 9 19:10:53 CET 2013

On 09/01/13 2:36 AM, Jelle Bosma wrote:

> If you need fonts to have additional classification info,
> and you cannot rely on fonts having this information, you still end
> up having to create code that looks at the cmap to see what is there,
> rather than getting the type producers do the work.

But querying the cmap doesn't give you this information, which I think
is Peter's point. The information is about intentionality, not
capability. A font like Nirmala UI contains an 8-bit Latin subset, and
querying the cmap, just like querying the OS/2 codepage or Unicode bits,
will suggest that this is a font that can be used for setting at least
some Latin-script languages. But that is not the intention of the font.
The intention is that it should be used to set text in the ten Indic
scripts supported, and the Latin subset is there for purely technical
reasons and is, in fact, derived directly from another font, which is
the one that should be used to set Latin-script text. That information
about intentionality cannot be derived from the cmap.

Now, the Nirmala UI fonts are also a good example of something that
would benefit from additional meta-data of the kind that John Jenkins
and Adam Twardoch have suggested might be included: 'Only for use in the
UI; not suitable for document creation'.

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro at tiro.com

The criminologist's definition of 'public order
crimes' comes perilously close to the historian's
description of 'working-class leisure-time activity.'
  - Sidney Harring, _Policing a Class Society_