[mpeg-OTspec] Re: [OpenType] MS Proposal for a new Name Table ID

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Thu Jan 10 21:11:34 CET 2013

On 09/01/13 11:34 PM, Jelle Bosma wrote:

> I understand that there may be good reasons to prevent a UI font to
> be available for general use. Such a font may have strange
> proportions, incomplete language support or other peculiar features
> to get it to work in a UI, which are OK as long as it stays in the
> UI. But surely Microsoft doesn't need to extend the OpenType format
> to have Windows hide Windows UI fonts from a Windows font selection
> mechanism. You can mark these fonts, without having to add language
> tags in all the fonts that are not UI fonts.

Note that I gave the example of identifying restricted usage intention
such as that for a UI font as the sort of *additional* metadata that
John Jenkins and Adam Twardoch had suggested.

This is not what MS are proposing. They are proposing simply a means of
identifying intended script and/or language use, which so far as I can
tell cannot be derived from any existing data set in the font.

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro at tiro.com

The criminologist's definition of 'public order
crimes' comes perilously close to the historian's
description of 'working-class leisure-time activity.'
  - Sidney Harring, _Policing a Class Society_