[OpenType] Windows 8.1 color fonts

Sairus Patel sppatel at adobe.com
Wed Jul 10 01:21:05 CEST 2013

> SVG is so complex that a full implementation doesn't exist on many
>platforms

That's why subsets and "referencing modes" of SVG have been defined
(examples: SVG Tiny; and SVG's "secure animation mode" that prohibits
scripting and external links). Defining new subsets of SVG is something
the SVG spec folks can consider as well, if that's what's needed for SVG
to be integrated/referenced (or used at all).

The alternative, for the OT/OFF community to incrementally invent a new
graphics language/format and to write implementations thereof, that can
capture the richness that many want to be able to express in fonts,
including gradients and animation, is certainly a possibility, but one
that comes with daunting costs.

I don't mean to downplay the work needed to dispatch a glyph description
to an SVG renderer, but I do want to emphasize that there are very real
benefits of using an existing W3C spec (even if, initially, layers or
subsets of the spec have to be defined).

Sairus