Fwd: Draft AHG report

John Hopkins jdhopkins8791 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 18:45:13 CEST 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Hopkins <jdhopkins8791 at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: Draft AHG report
To: "Levantovsky, Vladimir" <Vladimir.Levantovsky at monotype.com>
Cc: hopkinsjd at ldschurch.org, George Simper <simperga at ldschurch.org>,
rgcummings at ldschurch.org, slicksoftware1 at comcast.net

Hi Vlad,

Comments from George Simper below:

-          ‘cak’ – ISO defines it for “Kaqchikel”,  IANA registry has it
two ways the language is described/spelled: “Kaqchikel” and “Cakchiquel”
(as you proposed). I would go with ISO spelling since it’s also the first
choice in IANA.
--a j>> Agree
-          ISO 639 has ‘fat’ tag assigned to “Fanti” – I would go with the
ISO spelling;
-          ‘lua’ tag is defined by ISO for “Luba-Lulua” (while ‘lub’ is
defined for Luba-Katanga). OT spec has defined ‘LUB’ tag for “Luba” – do we
really need to split them into two separate entries?
constitution for DRC. Luba-Katanga is a developing language. Both need to
be recognized. OT Spec should reflect lua a language tag for Luba-Lulua.
'lub' language tag should remain with Luba-Katanga. There are enough
dialectical differences that different spell checkers/grammar checkers will
be required.
-          We already have ‘EUQ’ tag defined for Basque;
-          ISO has ‘cpp’ defined for Portuguese-based “Creoles”, can you
please point to the source for different spelling (Crioulo)?
spoken in the Cape Verdean Islands. The Language is more commonly known as
Kabuverdianu, and is recognized by the government as a statutory language
of national identity but not on an equal status with Portuguese.(See
http://www.ethnologue.com/country/CV/languages). ISO 639-3 already has a
definition of 'kea', that should be used. The OT spec should also reflect
that same language tag.  The ISO tag of cpp for Portuguese-based "Creoles"
is much too broad to really be functional. There are a large number of
portuguese-based Creoles. They vary widely depending on the the other
languages that have been mixed in the the Portuguese. A single tag will not
adequately identify them.

-          ‘kjd’ is defined for “Southern Kiwai” and ‘cuk’ for “San Blas
Kuna” – should we go with these names instead?
-          ‘myn’ is defined for “Mayan” language (a minor difference in
spelling only, I would go with ISO spelling);
-          Couldn’t find ‘pob’ for “Pocomchi” anywhere – can you please
provide a source reference for it?
-          ‘acr’ is ISO - defined for “Achi” (without Rabinal);
-          We already have ‘SOT’ tag defined for both Northern and Southern
Sotho – do we really need to split them?
Sotho is spoken in Lesotho, and is a statutory national language (1993,
Constitution, Article 3(1). There are over 6 million speakers of South
SothoNorth Sotho is spoken in South Africa, and is a Statutory National
Language for South Africa (2004, constitution, Article 6 (1).The degree of
being mutually intelligible varies, depending on sources. Some list Sotho
North as a dialect of Sotho South. Others do not. Based on information
available (www.ethnologue.com/languages/nso,
www.ethnologue.com/languages/sot), they are different languages and should
be identified separately.'sot' should remain for Sotho-South. 'nso' should
be used for Sotho North and added to the OT Spec).
-          We already have ‘TKM’ defined for “Turkmen”;
639-3 spec by adding it as an alternate?
-          ‘tvl’ is defined for “Tuvalu” (I’d go with ISO spelling);
-          ‘esu’ is defined by ISO as “Central Yupik”.

 John D. Hopkins