[mpeg-OTspec] AHG Kick-off and mandate until July 29th

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotype.com
Wed May 8 17:28:49 CEST 2013

Hi Bob,

Sorry for a delayed response. From my prior experience, and according to established ISO WG11 practice - a typical procedure to introduce a change in the spec would be to bring up an issue (and the way to resolve it, be it a new spec language or updates) one would like to address here in the AHG discussion, or as a formal contribution to the WG11. Once an issue is discussed and agreed on, it would typically be presented to the WG11 (MPEG) as either part of the AHG report or as a separate input contribution when significant spec edits were proposed, as it happened in the past when we were discussing e.g. new registered features and proposed language / system tag updates (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/mpeg-OTspec/message/914). Once an issue is discussed and has achieved a consensus decision (highly desirable but not mandatory), a specific new language for the spec needs to be approved again by consensus or a vote (either informal vote on this list during the working draft stage, or a formal ballot vote according to ISO directions).

You are right that many proposals have been presented in the past and discussed to various degrees - some were discussed at length and agreed, others received critique and were withdrawn, and unfortunately a number of proposals were not followed up upon (either due to a lack of interest on this list or because an original proposer didn’t follow up with necessary clarifications and updates to finalize the spec language.) As the editor of the ISO spec, I keep track of all discussions and proposed changes, and I also keep both clean and red-line versions of the working draft OFF spec with all the changes we agreed on (including e.g. your latest update to 'post' table we discussed and agreed on on this list). The working draft versions are updated after every MPEG meeting and are available for download from MPEG document repository.