Proposed CFR amendment

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotype.com
Wed Oct 16 21:59:22 CEST 2013

Dear AHG members,

It's been a while since the CFR standard (ISO/IEC 14496-28:2012) has been published, and, as more and more implementers start working with the spec, I received some questions regarding certain parts and definitions that would benefit from additional clarifications and updates. In an attempt to clarify some of the implementer's questions I had off-list discussions with the developers, and the results of the discussions can be roughly subdivided into the following categories:

-          How to deal with missing or inconsistent font metrics data (where components font metrics may differ from one another and from the metrics defined by CFR resource;

-          How individual component fonts can be adjusted to fit the composite font structure, and how the adjustment affects overall font metrics;

-          Clarify the priority order of the component definitions and if/how user language preferences may affect the component font priority order;

As the editor of the spec, I took the liberty to collect the answers to those questions and compile them into the spec amendment language - the draft proposal is attached here for your review. There are still some questions remaining (about 'macStyle' and 'italic' arguments of 'FontMetrics' element) that need to be finalized - I propose that after reviewing the draft the AHG should make a recommendation to start the amendment to update the language of the standard.