[mpeg-OTspec] cmap format4 structure question

Opstad, Dave dave.opstad at monotype.com
Mon Jan 27 19:27:24 CET 2014

Hi Bob,

Sorry I wasn't clearer! The "code" I referred to was the original Apple implementation from the late 1980s, and is the way all copies of that original TrueType 1.0 behave. Basically, anyone who licensed that code from Apple, or from one of its licensees in turn (like Microsoft) would have the format 4 'cmap' subtable implementation behave as I described. So there is a body of existing code that expects TrueType fonts to behave that way.

It is a separate and very valid question to ask, as to whether this existing dependency is appropriate. I was merely providing some of the history, as one of the authors of that original implementation. If you expect fonts produced in accordance with this new spec to work on existing TrueType installations then it's an important issue to resolve.

Cheers,
Dave