[mpeg-OTspec] Proposal to modify wording for name table ID 6

James Cloos cloos+mpeg-otspec at jhcloos.com
Wed Jun 11 02:01:42 CEST 2014

>> How long have PostScript interpreters supported names longer than 31?

I took a look through my copies of Adobe's docs.

,----< 5088.FontNames.pdf, §2.2 >
| The FontName generally consists of a family name (specifically, the
| one used for FamilyName), followed by a hyphen and style attributes in
| the same order as in the FullName. For compatibility with the earliest
| versions of PostScript interpreters and with the file systems in some
| operating systems, Adobe limits the number of characters in the
| FontName to 29 characters.
`----

The Document says it is from 1993, but has a 1998 copyright and the pdf
was generated in 1999.

I don't know why I remembered 31 instead of 29.

The PS 2 and 3 manuals, though, only mention a general limit of 127
chars for /names.

So perhaps the OTF spec needn't worry about it at all?

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6