Proposal to modify wording for name table ID 6

Hadley, Joshua joshua.hadley at monotype.com
Wed Jun 11 16:39:20 CEST 2014

James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com> wrote:

> The Document says it is from 1993, but has a 1998 copyright and the pdf
> was generated in 1999.
>
> I don't know why I remembered 31 instead of 29.
>
> The PS 2 and 3 manuals, though, only mention a general limit of 127
> chars for /names.
>
> So perhaps the OTF spec needn't worry about it at all?

Perhaps. While the discussion of the name length limits has been a wonderful trip down memory lane, my main concern with this proposal was to eliminate the requirement to include two (or really any number of) entries for name ID 6. Were any of the comments thus far (Ken? Thomas?) intended as objections to that?

I included the length and character restrictions in my proposed text because they've been that way in the OpenType specification since roughly mid-2001 and I thought they might be worth preserving. I'm fine with modifying the proposal to revert the text back to its original form which is simply, "Postscript name for the font." Length, character set, and other requirements for specific implementations can be detailed where appropriate (CFF table/specification, recommendations section, etc.).

Joshua Hadley
Monotype