[mpeg-OTspec] MAL language system tag

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Fri Jun 13 19:25:27 CEST 2014

On 13/06/14 5:31 AM, James Clark jjc at jclark.com [mpeg-OTspec] wrote:

> I believe this has the same incompatibility problems as the change to
> ZHH. The status quo is that there are two language system tags for
> Malayalam:
>
> Malayalam Traditional    MAL  mal
> Malayalam Reformed     MLR  mal
>
> These are clearly intended to correspond to the two different
> orthographies for writing Malayalam:
>
> - the traditional orthography
> - the reformed orthography introduced in 1981
>
> The existing meanings of MAL and MLR are both clear and useful. Changing
> the description of MAL to just "Malayalam" is an incompatible change,
> which removes the possibility of using the language system tag to
> distinguish between the two orthographies.

There has been some talk in Unicode circles of mechanisms to distinguish
the orthographies at the encoding level. I'm not convinced, and I agree
that it would be, at best, premature to remove the OTL language system
distinction at this time.

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Gulf Islands, BC      tiro at tiro.com

If stung by another man's bee, one must calculate the
extent of the injury, but also, if one swatted it in the
process, subtract the replacement value of the bee.
— Mediaeval Irish legalism