OTCs in which a CFF is shared

Sairus Patel sppatel at adobe.com
Fri Jun 13 20:17:10 CEST 2014

I'd like to propose two tweaks to accommodate OTCs in which a CFF is shared among fonts:

The hmtx spec says:
> In CFF OpenType fonts, every glyph's advanceWidth as recorded in the 'hmtx' table must be identical to its x width in the 'CFF ' table.

[proposed replacement:] An OpenType engine must use the advanceWidths in the hmtx table for the advances of a CFF OpenType font, even though the CFF table specifies its own glyph widths. Note that fonts in a Font Collection which share a CFF may specify different advanceWidths in their hmtx table for a particular glyph index.

The name ID 6 spec says:
> In CFF OpenType fonts, these two name strings, when translated to ASCII, must also be identical to the font name as stored in the CFF's Name INDEX.

[proposed: simply delete the above sentence.]

Apologies for this last minute request; I recently got back from sabbatical. If it's too late for this round of changes, please consider them for the next round.

Thanks,
Sairus