[mpeg-OTspec] Re: DSIG

Thomas Phinney tphinney at cal.berkeley.edu
Sat May 17 00:28:09 CEST 2014

Si,

I am tentatively with Esfahbod here. I am trying to understand what harm
would come from future apps treating all TTFs as "OpenType." It's not like
the presence of a DSIG guaranteed any other functionality whatsoever in a
TTF. Or am I missing something?

You might say, well, it tells people there is a DSIG. But it doesn't even
do that: we know that OT-CFF fonts without DSIGs, and TTFs with dummy DSIGs
got treated the same as TTFs with real DSIGs. So I don't see the value
there.

(As a user, I care about the CFF/TTF distinction sometimes. But not this.)

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 3:19 PM, Terence Dowling
terry at tdowling.com[mpeg-OTspec]

--
On paper books and ebooks: “Paper books are the packaging that books come in
.”