OFF with glyphs only in 'SVG ' table?

Adam Twardoch (List) list.adam at twardoch.com
Fri Nov 21 09:20:57 CET 2014

Simple question: does the OFF spec allow an OFF font where the glyph images would only be hosted using the 'SVG ' table, without 'glyf' or 'CFF '?

AFAIK, the spec permits to only have 'EBDT'/'EBLC', without any outline data, so my guess 'SVG ' only would also be permitted. Correct?

If that is the case, what would be the first four bytes? \00\01\00\00? I.e. is my understanding correct that 'OTTO' is only to be used if the 'CFF ' table is present, while any other glyph flavors ('glyf', 'SVG ', 'EBDT'/'EBLC' and possibly others) mandate \00\01\00\00?

Best,
Adam