[mpeg-OTspec] Re: OFF with glyphs only in 'SVG ' table?

Levantovsky, Vladimir vladimir.levantovsky at monotype.com
Fri Nov 21 18:20:47 CET 2014

I will second Chris's comment.
From the very beginning, SVG glyph outlines  were meant to be a complementary technology to either TrueType or CFF outlines to enable the colored and animated content while insuring that traditional rasterizers will always have something to render to produce a _readable_ text.  When it comes to fonts, maintaining the emphasis on "readable" content is the right thing to do IMO, and, therefore, necessitates mandating the ability to render glyph images and preserve basic functionality.

-----Original Message-----
From: mpeg-OTspec at yahoogroups.com [mailto:mpeg-OTspec at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Chris Lilley chris at w3.org [mpeg-OTspec]
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2014 9:02 AM
To: Adam Twardoch (List)
Cc: mpeg-OTspec at yahoogroups.com; public-svgopentype at w3.org
Subject: [mpeg-OTspec] Re: OFF with glyphs only in 'SVG ' table?

Hello Adam,

Friday, November 21, 2014, 9:20:57 AM, you wrote:

> Simple question: does the OFF spec allow an OFF font where the glyph
> images would only be hosted using the 'SVG ' table, without 'glyf' or 'CFF '?

> AFAIK, the spec permits to only have 'EBDT'/'EBLC', without any
> outline data, so my guess 'SVG ' only would also be permitted. Correct?

No.

5.5 Table for SVG glyph outlines

  OFF fonts with either TrueType or CFF outlines may also contain an
  optional ‘SVG ’ table, which allows some or all glyphs in the font
  to be defined with color, gradients, or animation.

Note the "also contain".

--
Best regards,
 Chris Lilley, Technical Director, W3C Interaction Domain

Posted by: Chris Lilley <chris at w3.org>