[mpeg-OTspec] OpenType "Recommendations": First Four Glyphs in Fonts

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Wed Jul 15 02:13:21 CEST 2015

On 15-07-13 10:14 PM, Ken Lunde lunde at adobe.com [mpeg-OTspec] wrote:

> Besides, I also suspect that that "Additional recommendations" are also
> suspect (pun intended). At the very least, we should consider adding a
> statement to the effect that these recommendations are based on older
> environments, and that modern environments no longer depend on them.

Correct.

My experience is that it's part of the design of both the cmap table, and that
of CFF table, that gid 0 means "not found".  The gids 1..3 are game these days
as far as rendering environments are involved, and should be relaxed IMO.

On 15-07-14 01:52 PM, Karsten Luecke  wrote:> given this and your OT list
exchange with Adam, there could be a single
> recommendation:
> Make space glyph the first glyph of the font.
> (It would "automatically" serves as .notdef – with or without a name –,
> albeit a shapeless one.)

This is problematic as many APIs, as well as certain cmap subtables assume gid
0 to mean "glyph not found in font".