[mpeg-OTspec] OpenType "Recommendations": First Four Glyphs in Fonts

Adam Twardoch (List) list.adam at twardoch.com
Tue Jul 14 12:10:27 CEST 2015

> Also, the name of GID+0 is ".notdef" only for TrueType and name-keyed CFF fonts; CID-keyed CFF fonts have no glyph names.

Neither have the "GID-keyed" TrueType fonts ie. those with "post" table version 3 — which is the majority of the new fonts bundled with Windows. So ".notdef" is the name of GID+0 only in fonts that have glyph names, regardless of the flavor. :)

Also: let's also keep in mind that we now have more than two glyph flavors. As far as I can tell, we now have five distinct flavors that can exist exclusively in a font: TT (glyf), CFF, SVG, two bitmap kinds (CBDT or EBDT).

I mean this in a more general sense: when we talk about the spec and possible repercussions, let's consider them in the context of all the standardized glyph flavors, not just some :)

Best,
Adam