script tags update (Re: [mpeg-OTspec] Digest Number 549)

Ken Lunde lunde at adobe.com
Fri Apr 1 14:27:17 CEST 2016

Leonardo,

Perhaps the best way to visualize my point is to simply transpose and re-sort the two columns of the table under discussion (see the attachment). Which would be preferred? The following two separate (and contiguous) entries?

  kana    Hiragana
  kana    Katakana

Or, the following consolidated one, which is functionally the same:

  kana    Kana (Hiragana and Katakana)

BTW, "kana" is the only duplicate script tag in the table.

When you bring kanji into the picture, you're conflating scripts with writing systems. For Source Han Sans / Noto Sans CJK, language JAN is globally declared for scripts kana and hani so that Japan (if thinking of region) or Japanese (if thinking of language) are handled properly in features such as 'locl' and even 'vert', and script latn even comes into the picture for characters such as U+2026 (…) that have different treatment for Western and CJK use.

Best...

-- Ken