[OpenType] Allowing DFLT to take languages

Sairus Patel sppatel at adobe.com
Mon Apr 11 20:20:52 CEST 2016

Yes, we’d proposed DFLT. Adam’s description of the rationale sounds about right.

Also, I believe some fonts were also being made then that did not have language-specific behavior, & so the desire was to have only DFLT listed in the font, instead of listing explicit scripts in the font. That is why the spec says: “The 'DFLT' Script table should be used if there is not an explicit entry for the script being formatted”: the OT engine may have detected that the text is kana, say, but if there is no ‘kana’ script entry, then ‘DFLT’ should be used.

Fonts, and OT engines, have moved on since the time this was proposed, and explicit script entries are in most fonts I’ve looked at.

Is there a real-world example of someone desiring an actual language system tag under DFLT script?

Thanks,
Sairus