[OpenType] RE: [mpeg-OTspec] Re: Languages tags (Buruchaski & North Slavey)

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Mon May 23 21:15:31 CEST 2016

On 23/05/16 11:55, Denis Jacquerye moyogo at gmail.com [mpeg-OTspec] wrote:

> The OT specifications already have language tags for both South Slavey
> and North Slavey. However North Slavey is being labelled as "Slavey",
> which is ambiguous.
>
> The two current language systems are:
> Slavey, SLA, scs
> South Slavey, SSL, xsl
>
> The proposal is to have the following instead:
> North Slavey, SLA, scs
> South Slavey, SSL, xsl

That's what I would suggest if we were starting from scratch, but I'm
concerned about changing any of the existing language system mappings.
My preference would be to keep SLA for Slavey, i.e. for a super-language
grouping of North and South Slavey, and add a new tag for North Slavey
(preferably SCS).

This matches what I recall doing for some other language systems, where
we have both higher level groupings and more granular options. To
clarify intent, we could add annotations.

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com
Salish Sea, BC        tiro at tiro.com

Getting Spiekermann to not like Helvetica is like training
a cat to stay out of water. But I'm impressed that people
know who to ask when they want to ask someone to not like
Helvetica. That's progress. -- David Berlow