[OpenType] RE: [mpeg-OTspec] Re: Languages tags (Buruchaski & North Slavey)

Denis Jacquerye moyogo at gmail.com
Mon May 23 20:55:03 CEST 2016

Hi Vladimir,

On Mon, 23 May 2016 at 18:01 Levantovsky, Vladimir <
Vladimir.Levantovsky at monotype.com> wrote:

> I think it’s relatively straightforward and simple to add these new
> proposed language tags as part of the input contribution where we proposing
> some additional changes for SVG table. I will make the needed changes and
> will send a new version for review shortly.
>
> Looking at the proposed languages and tags – it seems that we have no
> conflicts using BSK and JCT as language tags for Burushaski and Krymchak
> and KMZ for Khorasani Turkic.

Thanks. That looks good.

To recap, the three new language system are:
# Language System, Language System Tag, ISO 639 ID
Burushaski, BSK, bsk
Krymchak, JCT, jct
Khorosani Turkic, KMZ, kmz

> Is there a particular reason to deviate from ISO 639 tag for South Slavey
> using SSL instead of XSL?

The OT specifications already have language tags for both South Slavey and
North Slavey. However North Slavey is being labelled as "Slavey", which is
ambiguous.

The two current language systems are:
Slavey, SLA, scs
South Slavey, SSL, xsl

The proposal is to have the following instead:
North Slavey, SLA, scs
South Slavey, SSL, xsl

Thank you,