[OpenType] RE: [mpeg-OTspec] Re: Languages tags (Buruchaski & North Slavey)

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Tue May 24 20:56:31 CEST 2016

I agree that OT language system tags and ISO 639 IDs represent different information. However, the OT language system tags were badly under-documented. The mappings were provided since, otherwise, there would be no indication whatsoever what the language system tags are intended to mean.

As for actual mapping usage, I can't think of any usage scenario in which one would map from the language system tag to an ISO 639 language ID. But mapping in the other direction certainly can happen since content is often tagged for language using BCP 47 tags. Hence this mapping information could get picked up in implementations to use as a default mapping from a language tag to a language system tag — if the font uses that tag (else default).

With that in mind, SLA could be left as a higher-level category, and the language tag scs could be left as a mapping. But if we really want it to be a higher-level category, then the mapping should list both scs and xsl. Then we'd be left with this:

Lang system tag: SLA
ISO 639-3 mappings: scs, xsl

Lang system tag: SSL
ISO 639-3 mappings: xsl

That suggests a gap that could be filled, as John suggests:

Lang system tag: SCS
ISO 639-3 mappings: scs

That would work and wouldn't conflict with anything. I wonder if it's overkill: is anybody going to implement fonts that have different glyphs or layout behaviour for SLA versus SSL versus SCS? But I won't object if that's how people want to proceed.

Peter