[OpenType] RE: [mpeg-OTspec] Re: Languages tags (Buruchaski & North Slavey)

John Hudson john at tiro.ca
Tue May 24 18:58:26 CEST 2016

On 24/05/16 09:30, Denis Jacquerye wrote:
> The OT language system tag SLA already maps to ISO 639 [scs] (the ISO
> 639 code for North Slavey).
> Slavey; SLA; scs

Mapping of OTL language system tags to ISO 639 codes was not part of the
original intent of the former, and I'm still not convinced it is a good
idea, since they represent different types of data that only sometimes
align. I certainly don't think it makes sense to use ISO 639 codes —
which I think can only constitute an annotation to OTL language system
tags — to determine the intent of the latter.

That said, in this case I don't imagine there are many fonts that would
be affected by redefining SLA as North Slavey.

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com
Salish Sea, BC        tiro at tiro.com

Getting Spiekermann to not like Helvetica is like training
a cat to stay out of water. But I'm impressed that people
know who to ask when they want to ask someone to not like
Helvetica. That's progress. -- David Berlow